October 04, 2004

Cultural notes

1. I had a Speights (local beer) on Friday night. It was terrible.

2. There are zero places in town that sell coffee. To these people, "coffee" means "espresso-based beverage". What I think of as coffee they think of as "filter coffee" and it just isn't done anymore. Sigh.

3. When one buys 'coffee' on campus, they always ask if you want "Fish or a marshmallow?" in this weird "Shmoke and a pancake?" kind of tone. The fish is also a marshmallow...but blue and fish shaped as opposed to the usual white poofy kind. I am mildy put off by both options, so I always refuse...which of course gets me a look from the barista that says "So, there is no pleasing you."

4. This has nothing to do with NZ, but the fact that Bastiaan is Dutch makes everything funny and reminds me too often of Goldmember.

5. Instead of coffee being 'for here, or to go?', it's "to have here, or to take away?" I still feel like an idiot ordering "A mocha please, no fish thanks, to take away." This feels especially ludicrous at Starbucks (yes, we have one).

6. North American crap they have here that I was hoping they wouldn't:
McDonald's
KFC (although they pretend it stands for "kiwi for chicken"
Blockbuster
Starbucks
Guys driving Honda Civics with blue lights underneath and ugly spoilers, blaring "Lean back" or some other mediocre hip hop tune.
Dr. Phil
Carmen and Dave, til death do us part
Hoobastank






1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why in god's name wouldn't you want a fish-shaped blue marshmallow? I can't get any marshmallows in my coffee here at all! At least you have the option.

4:29 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home