November 26, 2004

Comfort

Last night was wonderful. It was a cold, blustery Northern Hemispheresque November night last night. It *felt* like a proper Thanksgiving night, which was a nice bonus.

I haven't had a big boisterous Thanksgiving dinner like that in ages. I met Hamish's wife and two boys - who are quite possibly the cutest children ever. There were seven adults and five children in total. It was, I think, the first time I've been in a situation where there were separate 'grownup' and 'kids' tables and I didn't have to sit at the kids' table. Sweet. The whole experience was comfortable and warm and friendly and good. I have never felt so welcome in a room full of Americans ;-) They came from all over: Massachusetts, Alabama, New Mexico, Texas. I found it entertaining that other guests kept forgetting that I'm Canadian and didn't vote in the recent election (which was, of course, the main topic of dinner conversation).

And my pie was a success, this is important. Hamish seemed almost sad when his wife insisted I take the pie and all the other leftover desserts home with me. (The head of the zoo dept had made this fabulous rum pudding ice cream stuff. I will be having it for supper tonight.)

Mmm, pie.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home