November 22, 2004

Weekend Update

I don't really have any NZ specific news to impart, but here's what's new in my life in general:

I've decided to take a break from programming for a few days and focus on my thesis proposal (which is 'due' Dec 1, though I know they won't boot me back to Canadia if it's not done til the 2nd, etc) I need to include a massive literature review to prove I'm aware of all the work that's gone before me (ie, so I don't propose to repeat something that's already been done.) Consequently, I've been doing a lot of reading in coffeeshops. Friday night I auditioned a new coffeeshop (and by that I mean I went to Modak's with Matty for late night chai) but my heart still belongs to Governor's. I just came from there, actually. I find that I get much more reading done if there is no computer or potential conversation partner nearby. What was my point? Oh yes, the weekend.

Saturday was grey and dreary, so I wandered into town with J and we read together in her preferred coffee spot Brioso's. You can tell she likes it there because the staff all know her by name. We shared a newspaper, trading sections back and forth like I imagine married people do over breakfast. It was contentment.

The teacher's college graduation ceremony was that afternoon. I watched them damply parade through the Octagon in their gowns.

After three coffees each, we both knew we should go in to our offices for weekend work...but only after shopping all up and down George St. I think we are a bad influence on each other.

Saturday night I stayed home and read and drew pretty pictures in my new sketchbook. No, you don't get to see them.

Sunday I read productively at Governor's, then met up with Matty and some new people (I won't name them because they multiplied as the day progressed and it would just get complicated) for a 'mysterious candy' date. We went into the G-mart and bought mysterious Japanese candy (ie, no English on the labels) for consumption at the park. Rain forced our party indoors and I ended up spending all afternoon and evening being quietly sociable with relative strangers who seem to be turning into friends. I know, I am as shocked and amazed as you are.

Today I was responsibly anti-social and kept myself set to 'busy' on MSN all day. I did plenty of reading, most of it relevant to my work (though I did get a little sidetracked by the topology tutorials at wolfram.com. My desktop has been changed from a picture of DNA to a picture of the "Etruscan venus surface".)
Now I'm going to head home for some food and if the weather holds I may even go running.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home