December 21, 2004

Lists

This is more for my benefit than for your entertainment. The days seem to be whizzing by too fast for me to keep track, so I'm going to try to make a quick list to jog my memory later.

Thursday - Travel to Brisbane. Meet Mitch. Drive. Meet Aunt Kaye and Uncle Rick. Drink tea. Pass out.

Friday - Wake up absurdly early (8am). Mangoes. Drive around island with Rick and Mitch. Beach! Warm white Pacific sand. Ibis. Chips. Burn. Bluebottles. Discovery science channel.

Saturday - Mangoes. Grocery store. Model home of the Gods. Pretend-work-reading (Dobzhansky). Discovery Science channel. Eat way too many rum balls.

Sunday - Brisbane! Outdoor market. Resist urge to buy shiny things from the countless jewelry vendors. Annoying balcony musicians. River cat! South bank. Busker. Ibis. Strawberry snow cone. Shopping binge at Target and other nifty places. Skyscrapers. Intense heat. Sunburn.

Monday - Mangoes. Girly shopping bonanza at mall. Help pick out jewelry gifts for other people. Purchase nothing. Big rainstorm at night. Feel warm rain for first time in ages. Read Dobzhansky and furtively eat cashews all night.

Tuesday - Walk on beach x2. Long chatty morning coffee and shopping with Aunt Kaye. Visit library. Grocery store. Try and fail to find new sandals that don't chew up toes. Pretend-work-reading (Dobzhansky). Relaxation reading (Kerouac). More furtive cashews. Write sadly incomplete list of week's events. Eat macaroni and cheese (the good, homemade, baked kind) for supper. Discovery science channel, or maybe more reading. Possibly make Gingerbread cookies..

Coming up:
Wednesday: Get up absurdly early to go a market of some sort...a farmer's market I think. Try to buy a hat. Spend the afternoon going around and around on a conveyor belt in the tunnel at Underwater World!! They're taking me to an aquarium - my poor Aussie relatives have no idea what they're in for. Taking me to an aquarium (full of animals I've never in seen in person/alive before) is going to be much like taking an overexcited but strangely well informed hyperactive four-year-old to the aquarium. I can't wait...

2 Comments:

Blogger Dave said...

I went to UW when I was in Australia (when I was 11)!!!!!

4:29 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am very envious of you, and delighted for you as well! Underwater World looks amazing. Have a wonderful time! Get a hat and wear sunscreen, said your Mother. And take many photos to share. Lots of love to everyone! XXOO

12:24 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home