June 14, 2005

Adventures!

Everyone loves vacation photos. See what Tammy and I got up to last week here.

The first two days in Auckland it was just me and Tim, road tripping up a storm. I think I have pictures of Mt Rangitoto from all possible angles. Tim is the rather tall, bald young man posing with Ebola. We drove all around the city, took in all the scenic overlooks, and had the biggest bowl of wedges ever by the beach at Takapuna. Many thanks to everyone at l'Hotel Chez Tim for the top quality accomodation and tours.

Tammy arrived on Tuesday. We had Tim drive us around some more, then we checked in to the oh-so-fancy Mercure hotel. I figured we deserved a little luxury, and the hotel was conveniently Right Next Door to the train station. Our train to Wellington departed at 7am, so the hotel location was key. That night we stayed up late watching NZ music television. We learned all about Dave Dobbyn, (which came in handy when I spotted him in the airport a few days later.)

The train ride to Wellington from Auckland takes 12 hours. I could quite happily have spent the entire time gazing out the window at the pretty, but that was not to be. We took a few turns on the outside observation platform, and ended up renting a portable DVD player to watch a movie near the end. I highly recommend watching Brother Bear with the moose commentary ON.

In Wellington we stayed at the slightly-less-fabulous Downtown Backpackers. That night there was an All Blacks game on, so all the restaurants were packed and scary. We wandered the city for quite awhile and ended up at Burger King. I wish the local BK had silver leaf covered doric columns inside. Everything is nicer in Wellington.

Our day in Wellington consisted of speed-shopping and a visit to Te Papa. Everyone should go to Te Papa. I want to go back.

Flight back to Dunedin had massive delays. A concert cellist had booked a whole row of seats for himself and his cello...but they had to be moved to the front of the plane where the giant cello wouldn't accidentally decapitate anyone during turbulence.

Once we got to Dunedin, Carey and Andrew adopted Tammy just as they have adopted me. We went on tours around the peninsula, visited the aviary, and experienced Good pizza at Filadelfios. One night, Tammy came out on the town with all my new friends. We went to a random house party, then to the Crown for pool playing and jukebox monopolizing. Most nights though, Tammy and I hung out at my flat, huddled in front of my heater, drinking wine and catching up on gossip and culture shock stories.

More stories to come when Tammy sends me her half of the photos. (Ie, the ones with me in them.)

Back to work I go.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home