August 27, 2005

Mega Updates

Hello Blog, it's been awhile, I know.

Here's what you've missed, in convenient bulleted-list form:

JULY
-Canada Day party (see previous blog entry)
-Trip to Leigh Marine Station
-Too much time in pubs
-Sick...

AUGUST
-Six month review at work
-Claymation madness with Matty (ongoing)
-More motorcycle fun, with leather pants even
-Boyfriend fiasco (ongoing)
-Matty's 21st Birthday (last night)

Let's see how much of this I can pack into one entry before it becomes gibberish...

JULY:

From the 12-14 of July I was at Leigh Marine Laboratory for a workshop on Statistical Genetics put on by the Bioinformatics Institute up by Auckland. Photos from Leigh can be found here: Clicky.

Photo sidenote: This is what my old study animal, the sea urchin, looks like alive (left) and dead (right)....both are about the size of a baseball. Image hosted by Photobucket.com

The rest of July I spent at work, in pubs, or in bed sick. Mmmm, flu.

AUGUST:

I had my six-month review of my PhD candidacy. I was a little hard on myself I guess, since when my supervisor filled out the forms he checked all the best boxes. All yeses and excellents. I guess I wasn't spending too much time in pubs afterall. I should even spend MORE time in pubs!

Or not.

Claymation madness, ah yes. Matty and I are making a claymation version of Titus Andronicus for a student film festival. All very top secret. We have about two weeks left before it's due, and we're about halfway through filming. If it is possible for me to show you all the finished product, I will. Life is so much more satisfying when I have something creative on the go (aside from work).

Motorcycle fun. Colin took me out on a tour of the Peninsula last weekend. It was pretty cold out, so I ended up having to borrow leathers. Colin's wife is significantly bigger than me in all respects....so I looked like a big black-leather-clad oompah loompah in her gear, but I was warm. At least, I hope it was her gear. I love Colin, but the idea of borrowing His leathers makes me uncomfortable somehow. Anyway, we went all around the windy roads on the peninsula and had mediocre nachos and fudge slices in Portobello. Colin is such a good date. He's moving to Christchurch in the new year though, sad.

Boyfriend fiasco. Well, I won't dwell on this...just rest assured there were boyfriends, and a fiasco. It was stressful times. Now there is a singular boyfriend, and no more fiasco. Lately I'm happy to the point where it annoys passerby.

Matty's 21st. It has been ages since I went to a 21st birthday party...and I admit I didn't last long. Matty is just about my favourite person in Dunedin, but I couldn't take the party atmosphere. I spent all day yesterday (his real birthday) carefully assembling a gift and a cake. I stayed at the party just long enough for him to open things, then ran away to go be quiet and old elsewhere. Matty is also moving away soon...he's going to Wellington in a couple of months. Just as soon as I start getting used to things here, my people are all moving away. I will just have to go on lots of random visiting trips.

And that brings me to today.

I'm at work. It's Saturday. I'm about to go have post-birthday coffee with Matty, then do a little shopping. Tonight is the NZ vs South Africa rugby match, held in Dunedin, so I will be doing my best to hide from the chaos. Wish me luck.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home